Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The road to 'automake'

Today I deleted another file from the repository, aclocal.m4. It redefined an Autoconf macro to support OSF/1. That was all it did, and aclocal itself wants to generate a file of the same name so that was that... and the macro in aclocal.m4 was taken from a later version of Autoconf anyway.

Now I've returned to an issue I saw a few months back:
bash-3.2$ autoheader
autoheader: warning: missing template: BZERO_IN_STDLIB_H
autoheader: Use AC_DEFINE([BZERO_IN_STDLIB_H], [], [Description])
autoheader: warning: missing template: FSTAT_WORKS_ON_FIFOS
autoheader: warning: missing template: NEED_BSDTYPES_H
autoheader: warning: missing template: NEED_MALLOC_H
autoheader: warning: missing template: NEED_MEMORY_H
autoheader: warning: missing template: NEED_SELECT_H
autoheader: warning: missing template: POLL_WORKS_ON_FIFOS
autoheader: warning: missing template: POSIX_NONBLOCKING_WORKS
autoheader: warning: missing template: SELECT_WORKS_ON_FIFOS
autoheader: warning: missing template: UNDEF_IO_IN_STROPTS_H
autoheader: warning: missing template: USE_OWN_STRING_H
autoheader: warning: missing template: _HPUX_SOURCE
autoheader: warning: missing template: _NEXT_SOURCE
autoheader: warning: missing template: const

I know there are some deprecated macros lurking in configure.ac and I haven't done anything about it yet; high time I took care of this. I am going to strip support for NeXT, SGI and a few other relics too.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the relevant platforms are anymore. Linux, OSX, *BSD, Cygwin, Solaris...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking the BSD family (including Darwin) and Linux... that's going to cover most of the install base, and Darwin really only for development.

    I might give OpenSolaris a try someday, but that's way down the road.

    ReplyDelete